14 May 2010

Mistakes and Miracles: My Life Changing News


This is going to be a very hard blog post to write because I have so many mixed feelings about the news I just received yesterday but here it goes. Last year as most of you know I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and I was scared (no pun intended) shit-less. I didn't even come out to my friends and family about it until February of this year, thanks to Jason and all my friends from CDSN.

Since that time however, I have done all I could to support Crohn's awareness and change my lifestyle, diet and state of mind about my disease. However my doctors were playing a came of tug-of-war with not only my emotions but also my life. I struggled with the pain and more importantly the stress this was causing me when none of my questions and concerns were being answered.

I started on a Gluten and Dairy free diet hoping to find some relief to my pain and to help slow down the process of this devastating disease. My friends and family all supported me through this, even my Dad went on the diet and my best friend Joey would always make sure I never cheated myself....even if I really wanted some god damn bread. haha.

But something wasn't right. After two months of changing my diet the pain was worse, my weight was the same and my stomach was bloated and my intestines permanently swollen - all the while my Dad was losing weight and feeling great. I felt ugly, unattractive and honestly exhausted of feeling pain, just like all my fellow crohnies I know feel and have felt many times over.

Yesterday I finally went to a REAL GI whom was recommended by a great friend who has had Crohns for 20 years because my original doctors were, excuse this, but down right douche bag veterinarians, and to me not real doctors at all (no offense to vets I love y'all).

So here it goes and I hope after I tell you this I will still be accepted into the crohnie family. So.... I DO NOT have Crohns, I have IBS and have always had that and it's official. Hence why the diet was actually hurting me rather then helping since IBS patients need fiber while Crohnies need to stay away from it. The diet I was on was building up gas and my bowels could not move it through like a normal persons. So yes I still have to deal with IBS for the rest of my life but I am thankful that I do not have Crohns.

On that note however I will ALWAYS support my Crohns family and volunteer and do anything I can to help, UC, IBS, IBD and all other bowl related diseases. I love you all and thank you for supporting me through this past year and I hope my fellow crohnies will still consider me one of the family.

5 comments:

Unknown May 14, 2010 at 2:27 PM  

shitty.

Sweetpea May 14, 2010 at 2:50 PM  

Megan, I am crying right now I am so happy for you. When you first said you had great news I thought oh please Lord maybe its not Crohns after all but it seemed like such an impossible dream. Well dreams do come true and excuse me but Crohns or not you are stuck with me...you are part of my family now and I am keeping you forever. Great big hugs my twitter daughter I Love You!!!

Brenda May 14, 2010 at 2:58 PM  

I am so happy for you!!!!! You are always a welcome addition in my world - even when you don't know it. Congratulations girl!!!! :-)

Unknown May 14, 2010 at 3:07 PM  

Aww meg, this some heavy news.

I am always there for you with whatever u have it doesnt matter. I take you for who you are honey !


Xxx

Joanna Schmidt May 15, 2010 at 8:22 AM  

Hey, ballerina, I'm sure IBS is no picnic either. Thank goodness you don't have to be diagnosed with this. Crohn's sucks, and long term interferes with relationships, pregnancy, social life, EVERYTHING! No one wants this. I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Really really.

I am happy for you. I hope your GI will help you minimize the pain and discomfort.

Hugs,
Joanna

Pages

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP