14 January 2010

A Man's Smoke Tells A lot


Even though I took this picture yesterday evening, I thought it mildly coincidentally that this morning a man pulled up next to me smoking on his tobacco pipe in the car. Creepily I drew his attention with a wave and did a charade movement with my hand pretending I was smoking a pipe so he would know why I was smiling and pointing. God, I have such a nerdy and outrageous personality at times but either why he smiled back and I have no regrets being that "weird chick" in the car. But that's besides the point. Sherlock, as well as Watson, were avid tobacco smokers as many people were at this time. Even though I imagine Sherlock smoking out of an beautiful, classic looking pipe, as I am sure he did, I am also certain he could roll his own. Another interesting fact was the Mr. Holmes was a closest cocaine addict and his addiction supposedly aided him in becoming insanely obsessed with his work. He also occasionally used morphine, both of these were injected with a special syringe he kept in a small leather case, and for the record, these were both legal in the late 19th Century. In later stories, Watson supposedly helped ween Holmes of his drug addictions but others suggest that he never really rid himself of his habits.

I like this picture because you can see that there is definitely something out of place. A clue left behind. Does this butt retain the DNA of a killer that happened to disregard his cigarette lazily after he left his victims in a pool of blood only a few feet away? Or is it the remains of an adulterated lover after he retreated home from a secret love affair? Questions swirl in my head as I look at this picture of  the wet butt floating on top of this plant holder. If I were Holmes I would have noticed the brand of the cigarette (Pall Mall, not that this brand existed back then). I would have noticed the length that the butt was put out at, the possibly lipstick marks at the end of the filter and the type of tobacco that was being smoked. I think...quite possibly, I am beginning to finally understand the deep, complicated mind of this famous "consulting detective", as Holmes put it himself.

Quote of the Day:

Colonel Ross still wore an expression which showed the poor opinion which he had formed of my companion's ability, but I saw by the inspector's face that his attention had been keenly aroused.
     "You consider that to be important?" he [Inspector Gregory] asked.
     "Exceedingly so."
     "Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
     "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
     "The dog did nothing in the night-time."
     "That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.


0 comments:

Pages

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP