18 January 2010

Something's Amiss


One of the things I love about Sherlock Holmes is the mystery and arrogant confidence that is part of his character and I wouldn't want him any other way. The brilliance of Holmes leaves me in awe every time I read his adventures. But what's even more amazing is that Arthur Doyle imagined and created this fascinating character. Holmes receives all the credit for his absolute remarkable way of solving crimes yet it's the author and creator that deserves these credits. While reading through the pages of his book late Saturday night I was caught up in all the details and all the "butterfly effects" that led Holmes to solving a case.

This picture helps me visually imagine how Holmes would view a empty room. In the book he was described as a foxhound, how he sniffed the air and the mouth of the corpse, how he swooped down upon every corner of the room and how the smallest details (like the length of the mans finger nails who wrote a note in blood) can sometimes be the most important clues to solving a case. I love this picture not only because of it's "old fashioned" feel but because of all the small details one can pick from it: the dirty cloths hanging from the chimney, the right hand knob turned vertical, the rusting paint on the right, the small detailed paint marks in the cement and much more. The quote below I was saving for the end and since this is the second to the last and helps my argument of Holmes' character and skills, I will finish with this.

Quote of the Day:

"I have the advantage of knowing your habits, my dear Watson," said he. "When your round is a short one you walk, and when it is a long one you use a hansom. As I perceive that your boots, although used, are by no means dirty, I cannot doubt that you are at present busy enough to justify the hansom."
     "Excellent!" I cried.
     "Elementary," said he. "It is one of those instances where the reasoner can produce an effect which seems remarkable to his neighbour, because the latter has missed the one little point which is the basis of the deduction. The same may be said, my dear fellow, for the effect of some of these little sketches of yours, which is entirely meretricious, depending as it does upon your retaining in your own hands some factors in the problem which are never imparted to the reader.

0 comments:

Pages

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP